Algalif’s unique, enclosed photobioreactor cultivation system and its proprietary three-phase cultivation process, help ensure optimal growth of the microalgae and high yield of pure astaxanthin from Haematococcus pluvialis.
Process & Facility
Indoor, Controlled Cultivation System
In the Green Phase, the algae biomass is cultivated under optimal growth conditions using pure Icelandic water and high-quality nutrients to make the algal cells grow and multiply. In the Starvation Phase and the Red Phase, the algae culture is exposed to stress conditions to induce astaxanthin synthesis.
The algae culture is harvested for downstream processing i.e. dewatering and cell cracking. Finally, astaxanthin is recovered using solvent-free supercritical CO2 extraction and standardized with high-oleic sunflower oil to produce a high-quality oleoresin.
State-of-the-art Cultivation Facility
Our cGMP-compliant cultivation and ingredient facility in Iceland was designed from top to bottom to deliver high yields of premium quality natural astaxanthin, with full contamination control, and no supply disruptions.
- A designated scale up clean room with custom-built inoculation photobioreactors
- Proprietary lighting system
- Automated 24/7 monitoring systems
- Full analytical characterization of our products
Pure & Sustainable Inputs
- Pure Icelandic water, low in minerals and unchlorinated
- 100% renewable geothermal energy
- Algae cultivated using high-quality nutrients (>98% purity)
- One of the lowest heavy metal profiles in the industry
Outstanding People and Processes
- cGMP compliant
- Halal & Kosher certified
- Experienced team of microalgae experts
- Non-GMO Project Verified